In this transformation strategy, it is essential to invest in biodiversity care and in a more efficient consumption, access and treatment of water. ACCIONA is working on the development of new business models based on circularity, aimed at reducing the consumption of natural resources and with the goal of reaching zero waste.
from "net zero" to positive contribution.
- CAPEX aligned with the European taxonomy
- Scope 1 + 2 emission reduction aligned with SBTi
- Number of trees planted and monitored
- Renewable and recycled resources, recovered waste
- Own water consumption
30 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE — SINGLE AND MULTITECHNOLOGICAL PLATFORM, WITH A GLOBAL REACH
|Responsible||Decarbonization||Mitigation hierarchy||Zero waste and renewable resources orientation||Consumption reduction|
|Resilient||Zero emission solutions. Mitigation||Digitalization 100% mapping and evaluation||Multiplying circularity of processes||Efficient access and sanitation models|
|Regenerative||Positive in climate||Positive net impact||New business models||Increase people benefited|
|Expand recognition as main actors in the transition towards a decarbonized economy||Generate positive net natural capital||Ability to develop zero waste projects||Significantly increase the supply of quality water and its sustainable use with high-end technology|
- GHG emissions reduced compared to the base year 2017 by 38% (Scopes 1 and 2) and 33% (Scope 3 categories in SBT), in line with the science-based target and the carbon neutrality in its direct operations.
- A fund set up for decarbonisation innovation projects of 1.1 million euros.
- 62.2% use of electricity from renewable sources achieved and total energy consumption from fossil fuel sources reduced by 86% compared to 2017.
- 61% reduction in use of municipal, surface water and groundwater for consumption compared to 2017, and 34% in the total use of water for own consumption.
- 77% of non-hazardous waste recovered and 75% reduction in generation and despatch of such waste to landfill compared to 2015.
- 10% of recycled or renewable raw materials and material resources used.
MAIN CHALLENGES 2021
- Reduce GHG emissions by 18.46% (Scopes 1 and 2) and by 14.46% (Scope 3) compared to 2017, in line with the SBT at 2030 of a 1.5ºC reduction, and maintain carbon neutrality in its direct operations.
- Invest 90% of CAPEX in low carbon activities according to the European taxonomy of sustainable activities.
- Establish/promote Biodiversity Action Plans linked with operations in 2 projects of more than 75 million euros.
- Reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill by 10% compared to 2020.
- Achieve 12% consumption of resources from a renewable or recycled source.
- Reduce the use of surface water, groundwater and municipal water in waterstressed areas by 10% compared to 2020.
ACCIONA is a world leader in sustainable infrastructure and renewable energy. It’s a special case since it invests in the same projects that it builds and operates. Our business model is based on the performance of sustainable activities aligned with the requirements of the European taxonomy and focusing on climate change mitigation
OUTSTANDING CLIMATE OPPORTUNITIES
|Category||Description||Type of impact||Business||Opportunity management|
|Products and services||Increase in demand for renewable generation infrastructure due to regulatory changes in relation to climate change. The Green Deal regulation in the European Union is a driving factor of such opportunities in the short, medium and long term.||Revenue increase (very high)||Energy||Investment of at least € 4,000 million in renewable energy generation during the 2020-2024 period, increasing installed capacity by at least 5 GW. This figure will be exceeded considering the projects already scheduled and those with the highest likelihood of being undertaken. (See updated information on the "Presentation of Results. FY 2020 — January —December", as well as in the successive quarterly presentations).|
|Products and services||Increase in global demand for low-carbon transport infrastructure due to the planned mobilization of capital for investment in sustainable activities in line with the requirements of the European Union's taxonomy in the short, medium and long term||Access to financing (high)||Infrastructures||Structuring the infrastructure projects portfolio where a greater weight is given to projects aligned with the opportunities detected|
|Products and services||Increase in demand for water treatment infrastructure in regions with higher scarcity forecasts due to climate change. Opportunity in the short, medium and long term.||Revenue increase (high)||Infrastructures||Structuring the water treatment infrastructure projects portfolio with a significant presence in the identified countries, where more than half of the activity’s economic figure is currently generated.|
ACCIONA’s agenda regarding water is determined by compliance with legislation, responsible and efficient management, establishing specific goals, developing new technologies, integrating water in risk management, extending its principles to the value chain and transparent communication.
The company carries out multiple actions that confirm its performance in this area. For instance:
- It generates renewable energy from inexhaustible sources such as the sun, the wind and agricultural and/or forest waste.
- It produces drinking water from seawater in regions with water stress using the best available techniques from the point of view of energy consumption. It also purifies wastewater, preserving and improving natural capital, which also makes its reuse easier.
- It develops infrastructures that benefit transport efficiency, renewable energy generation and transport, waste management and the sustainability of cities.
- It provides shared electric mobility services, infrastructure maintenance, energy management and segregated waste collection, as well as transportation, classification and recovery.
ACCIONA is a pioneering company in the transition towards a circular economy. In fact, it has been the first company in its sectors to be certified with the AENOR circular business strategy certification.
ACCIONA also optimizes the circularity of its processes as follows:
- It uses life cycle analysis tools (16 LCAs performed in 2020), which allow to evaluate and reduce the impact of its developments, as well as its consumption of material and energy resources.
- It minimizes fossil energy consumption.
- It streamlines its water consumption and takes advantage of alternative water sources that do not deplete existing resources.
- It gives waste and by-products from its processes (such as soil, debris, ash, dross, plant debris or sewage sludge) a second life.
- It maximizes the use of materials and uses sustainable materials such as recycled aggregates, renewables such as FSC-certified wood and biomass, or advanced materials such as composites, which minimize the number of components used.
- It develops an intense research, development and innovation activity in all areas, improving the efficiency of its processes and the performance of the resources used.
- It uses digitalization as a catalyst for circular opportunities in construction, through technologies such as building information modeling, machinery automation and 3D printing.
- It works closely with its stakeholders in the field of training and raising awareness on the circular economy.
ACCIONA prioritizes the hierarchy strategy to mitigate the impact on biodiversity, identifying and preventing potential impacts, minimizing those that could not be avoided, carrying out ecological restoration and, finally, compensating to achieve a net positive impact.
MITIGATION HIERARCHY STEPS
INTEGRATED ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
The integration of the environment variable and the application of environmental policies and principles in ACCIONA's businesses activity is guaranteed by a series of strategies submitted to the Sustainability Committee of the Board of Directors. Thus, compliance with the environment and climate change objectives is ensured.